We printed 121 objects in 2022—greater than twice what we anticipated in the beginning of the 12 months. Some highlights:
- This 12 months, AJF celebrated its 25th anniversary! Information
- We acquired an award from the Museum of Artwork and Design. Take a look at the press launch
- Steven KP—a brand new author for AJF—interviewed matt lambert about their Self-Care collection
- Ana Passos spoke with Miriam Mirna Korolkovas, a pioneer and curator of Brazilian Artwork Jewellery
- Jennifer Altmann requested the Dutch artist Rian de Jong about Triggered, her exhibition at Gallery Loupe. Altmann is a author new to AJF. She printed two articles with us in 2022 and has tons extra within the works
- Vicki Mason mentioned many issues, together with the Israel Biennale of Up to date Jewellery, with its founder, Ariel Lavian
- Shortly after Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, Elena Karpilova, a author new to AJF, put collectively two photograph essays about Ukrainian jewelers. The primary one accommodates a hyperlink to the second.
- Received a frown you need to flip right into a smile? Take a look at Why Is Jewellery So @*#% Completely happy?, by Carrie Yodanis
- How do you outline artwork jewellery? We requested our members. Here’s what they advised us.
- Sebastian Grant, a author new to AJF, started an bold collection known as Black Jewelers: A Historical past Revealed. He has written about Curtis Tann and Invoice Smith up to now, with articles about Coreen Simpson, Winifred Mason, Vaughn Stubbs, and others within the works
- One other new author, Christina Zetterlund, associated the life story of Rosa Taikon, whose work is now offered in a everlasting exhibition at Sweden’s Hälsingland Museum
- Rebekah Frank reported on the work of jewelry-adjacent artists Kumi Kaguraoka, from Japan, and of California artist Monica Canilao
- Saskia Van Es gave a historical past of the Françoise van den Bosch Basis and the artist it honors
- Collector and curator Jorunn Veiteberg confirmed us her residence, her jewellery storage, and most of the items of jewellery she owns
- Latest graduate Zahra Almajidi acquired the director’s award from Cranbrook Academy of Artwork
- Douriean Fletcher was a part of the crew that designed the jewellery within the Black Panther movies
- The pioneering Dutch maker Ruudt Peters took us on a tour of his residence and shared a part of his assortment with us
Put up-COVID, we eased slowly into journey throughout the second half of the 12 months.
- We scheduled our June journey to the Metropolis of Fog to coincide with the opening of Iris Eichenberg: The place Phrases Fail, on the Museum of Craft and Design. Invoice Baker supplied us with a photograph essay of the journey.
- We have been at Munich Jewellery Week, in July
- One spotlight of October’s journey to Prague and Vienna was undoubtedly the Museum of Bohemian Paradise, a brand new discovery for a lot of of members. To our delight, the establishment was holding its annual worldwide symposium of latest jewellery whereas we visited! See the photograph essay
- We have been additionally at NYCJW, in November
AJF in Dialog Panel Discussions
- Amassing for Pleasure occurred at NYCJW, in November. Couldn’t make it? Simply watch the video we filmed.
- Amassing—The Subsequent Technology was held in July, throughout Munich Jewellery Week. Watch our video of the speak to seek out out the approaches moderator Christian Hoedl and panelists Mallory Weston, Paulo Ribeiro, Juan Harnie, and Dennis Pellens take
- How Is the Subsequent Technology Amassing is a fast learn that summarizes the hour-long panel dialogue Amassing—The Subsequent Technology talked about within the earlier bullet level
2022 Younger Artist Award
We spoke to the winner and finalists after we introduced their names throughout AJF Reside, and likewise printed interviews with them all year long to study extra about their work.
We Added 16 Gadgets to Our Digital Library
- The exhibition catalog for Lynn Batchelder: Stays, organized by Gallery Loupe
- Slice: Biodigital Jewellery, the brochure for Paul McClure’s present at Galerie Noel Guyomarc’h
- The Reality—Mine and Yours, curated by Ariel Lavian
- The public sale catalog for Worn to Be Alive, from Quittenbaum Artwork Auctions
- The exhibition catalog for Bettina Speckner: Navegar é Preciso (Crusing Is Needed), at Galeria Tereza Seabra
- The exhibition brochure for American Jewellery: The Susan Grant Lewin Assortment on the Yale College Artwork Gallery
By the Numbers: 2022’s Publishing
- 15 interviews
- 12 evaluations
- 16 photograph essays
- 4 remembrances of individuals our group misplaced
- 16 articles and press releases
- 11 AJF Reside occasions
- 2 journeys
- 2 in-person panel discussions
- 24 installments of OMG, Have You Heard—our bimonthly information report, which is enriched by finds from Carrie Yodanis
- 23 On Affords, by which we tempt you with new jewellery from our member galleries
We admire everybody who writes for AJF and contributes to the group—we couldn’t do it with out you! AJF is all the time in search of article submissions and writers. Please submit your proposals or share any of your concepts for articles.
Subsequent 12 months guarantees extra fascinating tales about artwork jewellery. It’s such a pleasure to provide this programming for you. In case you take pleasure in it and aren’t already a member of our group, please take into account becoming a member of AJF. (See the advantages of membership right here.) Favor to make a one-time donation? Go here.
Right here’s wishing you a contented, wholesome, and affluent 2023—one which overflows with artwork jewellery!