One afternoon final 12 months, I used to be minding my very own enterprise, after I in some way stumbled upon journal author Hunter Harris’s weekly e-newsletter, Hung Up. For the subsequent hour, I tore by the archives, together with an Olivia Wilde deep dive, a Top Gun: Maverick review, and arguably the best opening paragraph to a e-newsletter. She’s a popular culture genius! So, I used to be thrilled when Hunter agreed to share 12 of her favourite issues…
1. Restaurant: When the gods smile upon me and I get a desk at The Four Horsemen, it looks like getting away with homicide. However in an attractive, erotic-thriller kind of approach. They don’t put up the menu on-line (which drives me loopy since I’m at all times the particular person to search for the menu prematurely), however each single factor is nice.
2. Exercise: There’s one thing satisfying about taking a protracted stroll whereas speaking on the telephone to somebody you like.
3. Hair product: Pattern is my favourite waxy, thick edge management. It lays these child hairs DOWN, honey; Fort Knox ranges of safety, and with minimal white residue. (For those who use edge management, you recognize what I’m speaking about.) I grew up with my mother utilizing previous toothbrushes on my edges, however the accompanying brush actually does make a distinction with this product particularly, since you do want stiff bristles to unfold your swoops.
4. Notecards: I regret my behavior principally all over the place, on a regular basis.
5. House discover: I’m so into my flatware, which I discovered by a reddit gap in regards to the flatware in Molly Baz’s cookbook. They’re an awesome mid-weight and are available in several colours/finishes.
6. Candle: D.S. & Durga’s Big Sur After Rain is an ideal, well mannered scent. Not too loud, not too intrusive. Breakfast Leipzig is a bit louder, a bit bossier, with notes of tobacco and leather-based. All I do know is that these candles discovered their approach into my house, and they’re my favourite smells.
7. Film: It modifications relying on the day, however proper now I can confidently say Casino. It’s a film about Vegas and the mob, two worlds which can be nearly hermetically sealed with their very own codes and traditions, however it’s additionally a film about attempting to fill the bottomless pit of the self — being forged out of Eden due to your individual gluttony. I like films about male self-importance and male insecurity. This one is extra shallow than Goodfellas, however extra glamorous, too.
8. Desk accent: The $7 velcro cable ties on Amazon essentially modified my life. I’ve one million cords for under like six units, and now I can preserve all of them neatly in my desk drawer. No extra pulling out a twine solely to get to the top and notice it’s a usbc as an alternative of micro usb. (Me understanding the distinction… sure I’m a lady in STEM!) Additionally, Play-Doh at my workstation — excellent for fidgeting throughout a protracted assembly.
9. Physique wash: Nothing makes me really feel as supported as waking up and taking the most popular bathe conceivable. Proper now, I’m utilizing Naturium Glow Getter Multi-Oil Hydrating Body Wash. It has a mysterious consistency — an oil that in some way lathers — and it’s very moisturizing. Doesn’t have a scent, however that’s type of superb with me?
10. Resort: I’m going to L.A. rather a lot for work — typically months at a time, typically weeks right here and there. The Cara is one of the best lodge in Los Angeles. I’m not staying wherever else, when it’s a brief journey. Attractive interiors, a restaurant value consuming at even for those who’re not staying there, and everyone seems to be genuinely good and useful.
11. Snack: Blue cheese and crackers.
12. Superstar crush: The onslaught of Austin Butler in spring 2022 — we can be learning it for generations. This man tried so onerous to get me to have a crush on him and I noticed Elvis and it labored! Bizarre film however wonderful efficiency.
P.S. Extra individuals share their favourite issues, together with artwork curator Gisela Gueiros and clothes designer Somsack Sikhounmuong.